What are some items to check when encountering problems programming a CPLD?
- Check for an error message, that will often help you narrow the search for the problem.
- If using a programming cable, check that the cable connections are secure and connected properly. Programming cables may NOT be used with splitters, dongles, or cable extenders, as this will have an impact on timing and signal integrity.
- Verify that the voltage sources are at the correct levels.
- For CoolRunner XPLA3 devices, ensure that the port enable pin is set properly. See (Xilinx Answer 8455).
- If possible, try a different programming cable, computer, and CPLD to see if the failure follows the cable, the computer, or the chip.
- If the device is in a socketed adapter, turn off the power and re-seat the device to see if there may be a bad connection in the socket. Also, try pressing down lightly on the device to improve the contacts on the leads.
If using Xilinx programming software:
Ensure that you are using the latest version of the software. You can download the latest version of iMPACT from the Xilinx website. For instructions, see (Xilinx Answer 12740).
Download and install the latest BSDL files from the Xilinx Support website:
If using third- party programming software:
- Check with the vendor to ensure that the part that you are trying to program is supported by their software.
- Ensure that you have the latest version of the programming algorithm from the vendor.