AR# 2942: 2.1i Design Manager - My input design netlist has moved locations/drives, how do I transfer/restore my project information ?
2.1i Design Manager - My input design netlist has moved locations/drives, how do I transfer/restore my project information ?
Keywords: move, projects, transfer, changed, restore, recover, cannot be found
The Design Manager keeps an absolute path to projects. If a user moves a project to a new location or drive, how can the user inform the Design Manager of the new location?
For a recommendation on the minimum set of files required to be archived in order to restore an M1 design, please see (Xilinx Solution 4285).
This methodology applies to all platforms, although the example below uses Windows naming conventions:
Suppose all of the design files sub-directories were moved from c:\old to d:\new
1. Start the Design Manager. If the last project used was moved, the project will fail to open. There will be a window behind the Design Manager's splash screen. You will need to click and drag the window from behind the M1 icon screen in order to view it. The message displayed will be:
The Project file: c:\old\old.xpj cannot be found.
Click OK. The entry should be removed from the registry and Most Recently Used (MRU) list. (If for some reason it is not removed, then go to File->Delete Project->select the project->Remove from List). If the last project used was not moved, it will open.
2. Select the File->Open Project.. menu item from the Design Manager menu. In the dialog select the browse button to add the moved project.
3. Browse for the project file, d:\new\xproj\<design>.xpj, in the new working directory. When a project is created the working directory name is set to XPROJ by default.
4. During the loading of the project, the Design Manager will detect that the top level input design netlist is not in the old location, c:\old, and will prompt for the new location. Select the input netlist from d:\new. After this, all the versions and revisions will be retrieved.
NOTE: If the top level input netlist in c:\old still exists, the Design Manager will NOT prompt you for the new location and will still read the netlist from c:\old. Temporarily rename or delete the netlist in c:\old, and execute an implement or translate in the Design Manager or Flow Engine to get the Design Manager to prompt you for new location of the netlist. To verify which input netlist is being used, simply select the the design name within the DM, right click with your mouse, and select Properties to view the path to the input design file.
5. If the tree view is not correctly updated with the all of the versions and revisions, exit the application, then restart the Design Manager. The new project should come up with the correct tree view.
An alternate means to recovering you project is the following:
1. Locate your <design>.xpj file under you project's xproj/ directory. 2. Open up the .xpj file with a text editor, then delete out all the contents of this binary file. 3. Save the file so that it is now of size 0kb 4. Invoke this project through the Design Manger (File->Open Project, browse for the newly edited .xpj file). 5. You will be automatically prompted to re-enter the path to the source file in order to recover the project.