After booting the 2016.3 ZC706 pre-built image, the "/dev/shm" folder is not available. However, this not the case in the 2014.4 build.
2014.4 BSP for ZC706:
2016.3 BSP for ZC706:
In both the case, the pre-built image has the following kernel setting (Under General Settings) set to Y:
Below are the steps you need to follow to update the rootfs. You will also need to follow the OSL flow and the files associated with it.
1) Download uramdisk.gz for the ZC706 board and place it in /tmp.
2) Convert the uramdisk to ramdisk:
3) Unzip the ramdisk:
4) Run the following command:
5) Add the following changes in the etc/init.d/rcS file:
6) Convert back to uramdisk.image.gz using the mkimage utility:
With this change you should now be able to see the /dev/shm folder.