General Description: This answer record contains information on the 4.2i IP Update 2 Readme file.
Install the 4.2i Xilinx software. Before you install the IP provided in this update, the 4.2i Xilinx ISE software must first be installed on your machine. Installing this version of the ISE software gives you access to the correct version of the CORE Generator application.
Method 1: Automated method using the Updates Installer
NOTE: There is no need to perform a separate download of the update file archive using the automated method.
1. Open the CORE Generator Update Installer. From the CORE Generator Main GUI, select Tools -> Update Installer. If you do not see the Updates Installer selection, this may mean that you have not properly installed the ISE 4.2i software. - Verify that you are using the ISE 4.2i software. - If you are prompted for a proxy host, contact your administrator to determine the proxy host address and port number you should be using to get through your firewall.
2. Select " 4.2i_IP_Update_2" from the list of updates in the Available Packages panel.
3. Click "Add To Install Queue" to add the Zip file for the update to the install queue. At this time, you may be prompted to enter a login name and password. Use the Xilinx login and password that you would normally use when downloading IP Updates and software Service Packs.
4. Click "Install All Packages From Queue". This will automatically initiate a download of the update. After the update has been downloaded, the Updates Installer will display a dialog box indicating that it will be terminating the CORE Generator session and installing the downloaded archive. Another dialog box will inform you when the update installation is complete. You can then restart CORE Generator.
5. To confirm that you have installed the update properly, check the following file: C:\Xilinx\coregen\install\install_history (assuming that your Xilinx software is installed in C:\Xilinx). Be sure that "eip_2" is noted at the top of the file, along with the current date and time.
Method 2: Manual Installation Method
1. Close the CORE Generator application if it is running.
2. Download the Zip file (PC) or tar.gz (UNIX) from http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xil_sw_updates_home.jsp and save it to a temporary directory. For Windows, the Zip file can be unpacked using WinZip 7.0 SR-1 or later. For UNIX, some versions of UnZip may be used to unpack this Zip file, but certain known issues exist with this, as described in (Xilinx Answer 7711).
For UNIX platforms, we recommend that you download the ".tar.gz" file and unpack it using the UNIX command line utilities "gunzip" and "tar" (not GNU tar). Note that the date stamp of the "/user/sbin/tar" command you use must be February 10, 1998 or later. This version of "tar" is usually supplied with Solaris operating system versions 2.6 or later. WinZip and GNU "tar" are not recommended for extracting the ".tar.gz" archive due to differences in the way they handle files with long path names. Please see (Xilinx Answer 11162) for more details.
3. Extract the Zip file or tar.gz archive to the root directory of your Xilinx software installation. Allow the extractor utility you use to overwrite all existing files and maintain the directory structure pre-defined in the archive. - PC: Typically the Xilinx software installation directory is typically located at C:\XILINX if the installation defaults were used. - UNIX: If you have already installed your Xilinx ISE software, the Xilinx installation directory location is the value to which your setup script sets the "XILINX" variable. After sourcing your Xilinx setup script, type "echo $XILINX" to determine the location of your Xilinx installation. You may need to have system administrator privileges to be able to install the patch.
4. Restart Xilinx CORE Generator. During startup, CORE Generator will automatically detect that new IP has been added to your installation; it will give you an opportunity to specify which IP customizers ("cores") will be visible in your currently active CORE Generator project. You can choose to display only the latest versions for "All" cores in the catalog, update the catalog view to only add "New" cores to the display, or make a "Custom" selection of cores visible in the CORE Generator catalog display for your current project.
5. Determine whether the installation has succeeded by verifying that the new cores are visible in the CORE Generator GUI, such as "CORDIC" in the "Digital Signal Processing/Building Blocks" folder.