Embedded System Design Flow on MicroBlaze using ISE
|Course Description||This course provides professors an introduction to FPGA-based embedded systems design flow targeting MicroBlaze using Xilinx Embedded Development Kit (EDK) and perform on-chip hardware/software verification.|
|Who should attend?||Professors who are familiar with Xilinx FPGA technology and wish to get up to speed with FPGA-based embedded systems design targeting MicroBlaze.|
After completing this workshop, you will be able to:
- Rapidly architect an embedded system targeting MicroBlaze software processor
- Extend the hardware system with Xilinx provided peripherals
- Create a custom peripheral and add it to the system
- Write software code to access peripherals
- Perform IP level bus functional simulation verification
- EDK Introduction
- Lab 1: Basic Hardware Design
- Quickly create an embedded system targeting a XUP supported board using EDK's Base System Builder.
- Hardware Design
- Hardware Design Using EDK
- Lab 2: Adding a Peripheral to a Hardware Design
- Extend the hardware system by adding peripherals from the IP catalog.
- Adding Your Own IP Peripheral
- Lab 3: Adding Your Own Peripheral
- Use the Create/Import Peripheral Wizard to extend the system with a custom peripheral.
- Basic Software Development
- Advanced Software Development
- Lab 4: Writing Basic Software Applications
- Write a basic C application to access the peripherals.
- Address Management
- System Debug
- Lab 5: Advanced Software Writing and Software Debugging Using a Software Development Kit (SDK)
- Write an interrupt service routine to keep count of interrupts generated from a timer. Perform software debugging using SDK.
- Lab 6: Hardware/Software System Debugging
- Use ChipScope™ Pro tool and the GNU Debugger from SDK to perform on-chip hardware/software verification.